Tuesday, July 24, 2012

iPad Case Update

This last week I wrote this post about the custom iPad cases we are trying to make for iPads for this coming school year. Yesterday, I was able to meet with ADR Packaging a local a manufacturer of custom corrugated, foam, and wood packaging products. Meeting with them was very helpful in finalizing a plan for the insert for the cases. Below is an image of how we plan to place all of the items inside the case. The grey color is the foam. The case should accommodate 10 iPads in Otterbox defender cases, one 10 plug power strip, 1 apple TV, remote, and cord. The configuration seems nice. We are having a prototype built, and should be able to test it out on Friday. We are still trying to decide if we are going to drill a hole for the power cord for charging, or just charge them with the case open.  

10 comments:

  1. Are there issues with heat if the case is closed and the ipads are charging? I don't know about the new ones, but my ipad 1 can get pretty hot while the battery is charging. That said, they can take a while to charge and it might be a pain if you have to do that with the lid open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat is a concern, we are going to try charging open. If we begin to notice a problem with heat we will build a fan into the case.

      Delete
  2. It looks like these cases are coming along nicely! I am always a worry-wort for security, so are you going to lock the cases? Or store them inside something else that locks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cases have two spots that lock. We plan to provide one lock to lock the case, and a second to lock the case to something.

      Delete
  3. I'm not going to lie - I put a lot of thought into all the cases for my electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take it the Apple TV is for streaming content from the iPad to a TV or LCD projector. Will this allow you to mirror the desktop of the iPad and will all apps be viewable through this process?

    -Barry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, using airplay, the ipad will be mirrored to classroom projectors.

      Delete
  5. That's way cool. Sound like you might have a patent in your future. I saw a dude playing guitar recently with an iPad mounted to his mic stand with an official mounting case. I was very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mounting iPads is a big area for innovation as people start using them for all kinds of activities whe they need free hands. the coffee shop I am in right now uses an iPad as a cash register/ computer replacement but have a lot of trouble with the stand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I have always used my keyboard as the dock for my iPad, but now I am getting some ideas! :) I think the storage system looks great Geoff, I am impressed with your ability to construct something like that on paper. I am definitely not architect minded.

    ReplyDelete